CSE 4317 Homework 2
Due: June 15, 2001 by midnight (no late submissions accepted)
Submit via email to email@example.com (not to Red!).
Read the article "Melissa Virus Creates a New Type of Threat" in IEEE
Computer, Volume 32, Number 6, pages 16-19, 1999 (click here for PDF). This article is also
reprinted in Bowyer, 2nd edition, on pages 135-138. Answer the following
- What kind of systems were affected by this virus?
- What were the estimates of costs and damage caused by the virus?
- How quickly was the (alleged) creator of the virus arrested?
- What are the potential penalties if the person is convicted? Are they
appropriate? Too lenient? Too harsh? Why?
- What is the trade-off between security and functionality that is
illustrated by the Melissa virus? Is the added functionality worth the
added security risk? Why are why not?