CSE 4317 Homework 1
Due: June 8, 2001 by midnight (no late submissions accepted)
Submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (not to Red!).
Read the IEEE Potentials article "Degrading your degree" on page 41
(page 35 in 1st edition) and answer the following questions.
- What is the conclusion of the argument being made?
- What are the reasons offered in support of the conclusion? Rank them,
starting with 1, in order of their perceived strength.
- Using your critical-thinking skills, what is your assessment of the
- What should you do when you witness someone cheating on an
- What do you do when you witness someone cheating on an
- Read the followup responses on pages 42-43 (not in 1st edition; will
distribute in class). What are the main points of the first two respondees
in reference to the original article, and what is your assessment of the
validity of these points?
- What specific elements of the AITP, ACM, Software Engineering, and
IEEE codes of ethics apply to cheating? Describe how they apply.