Readings on Smart Environments
- B. Brumitt, B. Meyers, J. Krumm, A. Kern, and S. Shafer, "EasyLiving: Technologies for
Intelligent Environments", Handheld and Ubiquitous
Computing, 2000. (Microsoft Easy Living)
- M. Coen, B. Phillips, N. Warshawsky, L. Weisman, S. Peters and
P. Finin, "Meeting the Computational
Needs of Intelligent Environments: The Metaglue System",
Proceedings of MANSE'99, 1999. (MIT Intelligent Room)
- D. Cook, M. Huber, K. Gopalratnam and M. Youngblood, "Learning to Control a Smart Home
Environment," submitted to Innovative Applications of
Artificial Intelligence, 2003.
- C. Doom, "Get Smart: How Intelligent
Technology Will Enhance Our World," Computer Sciences
- A. Fox, B. Johanson, P. Hanrahan, and T. Winograd, "Integrating Information Appliances into an
Interactive Workspace", IEEE Computer Graphics &
Applications, Vol. 20, No. 3, 2000. (Stanford iRoom)
- E. Heierman, D. Cook, S. Das and L. Holder, "Moving from Internet Appliances to
Internet Intelligent Environments: Challenges and
Directions", 2001. (UTA MavHome SmartHome)
- C. Kidd, R. Orr, G. Abowd, C. Atkeson, I. Essa, B. MacIntyre,
E. Mynatt, T. Starner and W. Newstetter, "The Aware Home: A Living Laboratory for
Ubiquitous Computing Research", Proceedings of the Second
International Workshop on Cooperative Buildings - CoBuild'99,
1999. Slides available here. (Georgia Tech Aware Home)
- K. Larson, "The Home of the
Future", Architecture and Urbanization, 361,
2000. (MIT house_n)
- M. Mozer, "An
intelligent environment must be adaptive", IEEE
Intelligent Systems and their Applications, 14(2), 11-13,
1999. (UC Boulder Adaptive House)
- J. Sanders, "Sensing the
Subtleties of Everyday Life", Research Horizons,
2000. (Georgia Tech Aware Home)
- A. Chu, F. Gen-Kuong and B. Swanson, "Smart
Sensors and Network Sensor Systems," ENDEVCO Corporation.
- M. Corr, "Geographic based Ad-Hoc Routing
for Sensor Networks," Masters Thesis, Thayer School of
Engineering, Dartmouth College, 2001.
- M. Corr and C. Okino, "Networking
Reconfigurable Smart Sensors," Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 4232
Enabling Technologies for Law Enforcement and Security, 2000.
- J. Eidson and S. Woods, "A Research
Prototype of a Networked Smart Sensor System," Hewlett-Packard
Technical Report HPL-95-91, 1995.
- W. Elmenreich, W. Haidinger and H. Kopetz, "Interface Design for Smart
Transducers," Proceedings of the IEEE Instrumentation and
Measurement Technology Conference, 2001.
- D. Estrin, R. Govindan and J. Heidemann, "Scalable Coordination in Sensor
Networks," USC Information Sciences Institute, Technical Report
- D. Estrin, R. Govindan, J. Heidemann and S. Kumar, "Next Century Challenges: Scalable
Coordination in Sensor Networks," Proceedings of the Fifth
Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networks
(MobiCOM '99), 1999.
- O. Kasten and M. Langheinrich, "First
Experiences with Bluetooth in the Smart-Its Distributed Sensor
Network," Proceedings of PACT 2001 Workshop on Workshop on
Ubiquitous Computing and Communications, 2001.
- H. Kopetz, M. Holzmann and W. Elmenreich, "A Universal Smart Transducer Interface:
TTP/A," International Journal of Computer System, Science and
Engineering, Volume 16, Number 2, 2001.
- J. Liu, L. Perrone, D. Nicol, M. Liljenstam, C. Elliot and D. Pearson,
"Simulation modeling of large-scale ad-hoc
sensor networks," European Simulation Interoperability
- S. Meguerdichian, S. Slijepcevic, V. Karayan, M. Potkonjak, "Localized Algorithms In Wireless
Ad-Hoc Networks: Location Discovery and Sensor Exposure,"
Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and
Computing, pages 106-116, 2001.
- R. Orr and G. Abowd, "The Smart Floor: A
Mechanism for Natural User Identification and Tracking", GVU
Technical Report GIT-GVU-00-02, 2000. (Georgia Tech Smart Floor)
- N. Priyantha, A. Miu, H. Balakrishnan and S. Teller, "The Cricket Compass for Context-Aware
Mobile Applications," Proceedings of the 7th ACM Conference on
Mobile Computing and Networking (MOBICOM), 2001.
- A. Schmidt and K. Van Laerhoven, "How to Build Smart Appliances",
IEEE Personal Communications, pages 6-11, August 2001.
- R. Therrien, "TINI in the Eye of the
Hurricane", InfoTech Plus.
- Sensors magazine
- A. Bhattacharya and S. K. Das, "LeZi-Update: An Information-Theoretic
Framework for Personal Mobility Tracking in PCS Networks",
ACM/Kluwer Journal on Wireless Networks (Special Issue on
selected Mobicom'99 papers), Vol. 8, No. 2-3, pp. 121-135, Mar-May
2002. (Preliminary version
appeared in ACM MobiCom'99 Proceedings)
- M. Bradshaw, B. Wang, L. Gao, J. Kurose, P. Shenoy, D. Towsley,
S. Sen, "Periodic broadcast and patching
services: implementation, measurement, and analysis in an internet
streaming video testbed," Proceedings of the International
Conference on Multimedia, pages 280-290, 2001.
- S. Das, A. Misra, P. Agrawal, and S. K. Das, "TeleMIP: Telecommunications-Enhanced Mobile IP
Architecture for Fast Intradomain Mobility", IEEE Personal
Communications, (Special Issue on IP-Based Mobile
Telecommunications Networks), Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 50-58, Aug 2000.
- K. Hua, Y. Cai, S. Sheu, "Patching: A
multicast technique for true video-on-demand services,"
Proceedings of the Sixth ACM International Conference on
Multimedia, pages 191-200, 1998.
- K. Hua and S. Sheu, "Skyscraper Broadcasting:
A New Broadcasting Scheme for Metropolitan Video-on-Demand
Systems," Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM '97 Conference,
pages 89-100, 1997.
- "Discovering Devices and Services in
Home Networks", IBM White Paper, 1999.
- A. Misra, S. Das, A. McAuley, and S. K. Das, "Autoconfiguration, Registration and Mobility
Management for Pervasive Computing", IEEE Personal
Communications, (Special Issue on Pervasive Computing), Vol. 8,
No. 4, pp. 24-31, Aug 2001.
- "Wireless Home Networks", Xilinx
White Paper, 2001.
- P. Bonnet, J. Gehrke, and P. Seshadri,"Towards Sensor Database Systems,",
Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Mobile Data
Management, Hong Kong, 2001.
- S. Chakravarthy, "Early Active
Database Efforts: A Capsule Summary", University of Florida
Technical Report, 1998.
- S. Chakravarthy, V. Krishnaprasad, E. Anwar, and S. Kim, "Composite Events for Active
Database: Semantics, Contexts and Detection", Proceedings
of the 20th VLDB Conference, 1994.
- J. Navas and M. Wynblatt,"The network is
the database: data management for highly distributed systems,"
Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD Conference, pages 544-551, 2001.
- C. Burkey, "Environmental Interfaces:
HomeLab", Proceedings of the Conference on Human Factors
in Computer Systems, 2000.
- B. Davison and H. Hirsh, "Probabilistic
Online Action Prediction", Proceedings of the AAAI Spring
Symposium on Intelligent Environments, 1998.
- B. Davison and H. Hirsh, "Toward an
Adaptive Command Line Interface", Proceedings of the
Conference on Human-Computer Interfaces, 1997.
- A. Delcher, D. Harmon, S. Kasif, O. White, and S. Salzberg, "Improved Microbial Gene Identification
with Glimmer", Nucleic Acids Research, 27(23), 1999.
- P. Gorniak and D. Poole, "Predicting
Future User Actions by Observing Unmodified Applications",
Proceedings of the National Conference on Artificial
- H. Hirsh, C. Basu, and B. Davison, "Learning to Personalize",
Communications of the ACM, 43(8), 2000.
- H. Hirsh and B. Davison, "An Adaptive
UNIX Command-Line Assistant", Proceedings of the
Conference on Agents, 1997.
- B. Korvemaker and R. Greiner, "Predicting UNIX Command Lines: Adjusting
to User Patterns", Proceedings of the National Conference
on Artificial Intelligence, 2000.
- D. Kudenko and H. Hirsh, "Feature
Generation for Sequence Categorization", Proceedings of
the National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 1998.
- T. Lane, "Hidden Markov Models for
Human / Computer Interface Modeling", Proceedings of the
IJCAI-99 Workshop on Learning about Users, pages 35-44, 1999.
- T. Lane and C. Brodley, "Temporal
Sequence Learning and Data Reduction for Anomaly Detection",
Proceedings of the Fifth ACM Conference on Computer and
Communications Security, pages 150-158, 1998.
- A. Liu, A. Pentland, M. Fernandez, C. Harp, and I. Murakami, "The Driver's Intention Project
(Smart Cars)", 2000.
- J. Ruvini and C. Dony, "APE: Learning
User's Habits to Automate Repetitive Tasks", International
ACM Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces, pages 229-232,
- K. Seymore, A. McCallum, and R. Rosenfield, "Learning Hidden Markov Model
Structure for Information Extraction", Proceedings of the
AAAI Workshop on Machine Learning for Information Extraction,
- C. Boutilier, T. Dean, and S. Hanks, "Decision-Theoretic Planning:
Structural Assumptions and Computational Leverage,"
Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, Volume 11,
pages 1-94, 1999.
- E. Feinberg and A. Schwarz, "Handbook of Markov Decision Processes,
Chapter 1 Introduction," Kluwer, 2001.
- M. Harmon and S. Harmon, "Reinforcement Learning: A Tutorial,"
- F. Jensen, "Bayesian Graphical
Models," Encyclopedia of Environmetrics, 2000.
- F. Jensen, "Influence Diagrams,"
Encyclopedia of Environmetrics, 2000.
- L. Kaelbling, M. Littman, and A. Cassandra, "Planning and Acting in
Partially-Observable Stochastic Domains," Artificial
Intelligence, Volume 101, pages 99-134, 1997.
- S. Russell and P. Norvig, "Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach," Prentice Hall, 1995.
- R. Sutton and A. Barto, "Reinforcement
Learning: An Introduction," MIT Press, 1998.
- C. Breazeal, "Robot in Society: Friend
or Appliance?," Agents99 Workshop on Emotion-Based Agent
Architectures, pages 18-26, 1999.
- N. Roy, G. Baltus, D. Fox, F. Gemperle, J. Goetz, T. Hirsch,
D. Margaritis, M. Montemerlo, J. Pineau, J. Schulte, and S. Thrun, "Towards Personal Service Robots for the
Elderly," Workshop on Interactive Robots and Entertainment (WIRE
Privacy and Security